The SEP client is supported on 2008 Server Core per their documentation.

From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 9:30 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Server Core

Personally, other than File servers, Exchange servers, SMTP email
servers, and Share Point servers (i.e. servers with user content and
access), I haven't had AV detect anything in a number of years.  Sample
size is about a half-dozen environments ranging from 20 users (5
servers) to 4000 users (300+ servers)

As for the others, I think I'll build a Server Core system in my virtual
environment and start testing these things out.  It is certainly worth
knowing...

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Christopher Bodnar