From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:57 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Whining...

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Brian Desmond <br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
> Honestly, having worked in hundreds of large scale orgs, the three
> Michael listed are the three you're going to find operating in
> datacenters outside of rogue instances and the occasional in-the-box app
> specific DB.

  In a large organization, I would expect to find heavy deployment of at least
one big commercial platform as the centerpiece, but lots of other stuff on the
edge in supporting roles.  You dismiss them as "rogue", I take it, but I don't
see why.  Take away the small pieces and the big pieces usually grind to a
halt.  Take away the big pieces and the small pieces are pointless.  You need
all the pieces for a machine to work.

   In my experience, big organizations never have homogeneous systems.

  It wasn't all *that* long ago the MS-SQL was excluded from the "real
database" category by some because it was stuck on 32-bit pee sea boxes and
simply couldn't scale up to the likes of big Sun/IBM/HP/DEC/etc. systems.

-- Ben