Ok… good questions. I’m looking for about 5 terabytes useable to start. I
probably won’t use half of that immediately, but I can use some of that for
snapshots and growth. As for features, I’m not sure what features are
available, but some I know are available and are interesting to me are
dedupe, ISCSI, snapshots, thin provisioning. Dedupe is in the “nice to have,
but not necessary” category. Performance, well, to start with, this will be
mainly an overgrown file server, but I plan on bringing email in-house, and
the IBM rep suggested I might want to virtualize my two servers and put
VMWare on them, as they are seriously under-utilized right now (our most
used server is at like 15% CPU utilization, and that’s running
file/print/DC/DHCP/DNS/antivirus on the one box.)  The IBM rep’s suggestions
sound good, as far as virtualizing the servers, but not until I have a SAN
in place. J Anyway, WRT the SAN, it will likely be the place where the
virtualized DCs are stored, but they will be running off the existing
hardware. The email will likely be Kerio Connect (pretty much guaranteed, if
I have anything to say about it) and I don’t think it uses a database. I
talked to a Kerio rep last week and he assured me that having the mail store
on a SAN is very well supported, so I have no qualms about that. Between
redirecting people’s “My Documents” folders to the network (and by that, I
mean a SAN) and email, I expect to use up ½ to 2/3 of the proposed 5 Tb.

John-AldrichPerception_2