I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Please hear me this time.

If you do not nail down your requirements, vendors are certainly going to
overwhelm you during the process.  Once you have your requirements nailed
down, it becomes fairly trivial to exclude vendors from your list.  You're
letting products/vendors drive your decision-making process instead of
requirements.  Until you switch your methodology to one based on your
requirements you're doing yourself, and the people who've provided advice
previously, a great disservice.

I say this from the perspective of having been where you're at.  I know how
overwhelming the process is, how confusing the jargon can be.  My
methodology, which I'm not recommending, was to implement an OpenFiler box
play with the tech a bit, get my feet wet, I moved some services over to it,
moved more services over, and then because of a suddent business requirement
ended up moving mission critical services to the box, with the stipulation
that this was a stop gap, and I needed to do something more robust in the
future.  Part of my requirements then became something that had support tied
to it, since we were dead in the water if it went down.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM, John Aldrich <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com
> wrote:

>  Ok, I’m still in the market for a SAN. I got an IBM rep trying to sell me
> one of their SANs (rebranded LSI Logic) and I have an HP vendor trying to
> sell me a LeftHand. On the one hand (no pun intended,) the LeftHand comes
> with pretty much everything I would ever want built-into the price. On the
> other hand, the IBM is a dual-controller unit and I can just add drives as I
> need them where with the LeftHand I’d be adding intelligence each time I
> upgraded. There are pros and cons to each.  I think both are similarly
> priced (although the LeftHand solution may be a bit more expensive
> up-front.)
>
> Not trying to start a flame war here, but I’m getting overwhelmed here… If
> both had similar capabilities, what would you recommend here? Anyone else I
> should be looking at in the “Budget SAN” range (<$30K for one SAN, including
> setup, maintenance, etc.)
>

> [image: John-Aldrich][image: Perception_2]

> To manage subscriptions click here:

<<image002.jpg>>

<<image001.jpg>>