On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Rohyans, Aaron <arohy...@dpsciences.com> wrote:
> Cisco doesn’t offer power supply or fan replacements in their
> warranty… All HP is doing here is offering free brakes/tires with every car
> purchased… big deal.  How many are we anticipating on replacing?  And in the
> grand scheme of things, how much is this really going to cost you (or not
> cost you)?

  Well, if I have to replace a $2000 switch because a $1 fan failed,
quite a bit.

> Cisco only supports their product 5 years after EoL… Well, there’s
> a reason the product went EoL… and more than likely, it’s had an already
> extensive career in the network.

  In my experience, in many organizations, network equipment has a
much longer lifecycle than computers.  A great many places *still*
don't need anything more than 100 megabit to the desktop.  So a 10-15
year usable lifetime isn't unrealistic.  Obviously some shops need to
upgrade more often than that, but many don't.

  I like that with ProCurve, I get to decide when my equipment is
obsolete; HP doesn't do it for me.

> Cisco doesn’t offer free TAC support.  OK, but does HP offer free
> support on all their products, or just ProCurve?

  What does that have to do with what switch I should buy?

  By that logic: Cisco owns LinkSys, LinkSys's stuff is cheap consumer
crap, therefore, all of Cisco's stuff must be cheap consumer crap.

> I can almost guarantee they don’t see the types of issues Cisco
> sees, let alone do they have the technical depth that Cisco does in the
> TAC.  You get what you pay for – or don’t pay for.

  I believe HP has been making switches longer than Cisco has.  They
certainly got a huge installed base, and have extensive layer two
experience and knowledge.  If you're talking routers, yes, Cisco has a
definite edge.  But we're talking switches.

> I highly doubt HP guarantees next day delivery on all RMA items… there’s
> fine print there somewhere (or conveniently excluded).

  They do indeed promise immediate shipment via next day carrier.
Strictly speaking, "delivery" is up to the carrier, I presume.  In my
experience, if HP doesn't have your part they'll ship you something
better.

  Until recently, the *entire* ProCurve warranty statement was
(paraphrased), "HP guarantees the product against defects in materials
or manufacture for the lifetime of the product."  That's it.  Full
stop.  One sentence.  It's since grown come caveats for software and
GBIC modules, but it's still very short and straight-forward.  I wish
more companies would take the lesson.

-- Ben