Hi Guys,

I am about to undertake a new project which as the subject line states its
turning our current file server into a vm. Its currently a clustered windows
system (2 x nx1950's) connected via SAS to an md3000 + md1000. The quantity of
data living on the storage is in or around 6TB (allot of this would be static)
and its split over 2TB drives.The. We have a relatively new vmware environment
consisting of 4 hosts (Dell R900's and M710 blades running ESXi4) they are
connected to ISCSI Equallogic PS6000 units which are all in a RAID50 config.

That's the hardware background, my query is around the virtualization of the
storage for the virtual file server. I have read a number of article but would
be interested if anyone has "real world" experience of what the feel works or
definitely doesn't work. My plan is to have a small front end vm running win
srv 2008 r2 ( just a single vm that will be protected by vmware HA) sitting in
front of the storage . My question is how do you guys think its best presented
I'm leaning towards standard vmfs datastores on dedicated 2tb luns purely being
accessed by this new vm or using the equallogic mpio and the windows iscsi
initiator to present the storage this way (which we have done on a couple of
sql boxes already). From what I have read so far I don't see any particular
reason to go down the RDM route other than some people saying if you have large
drives the rdm path can be a good idea. I don't see a huge performance
difference between vmfs and rdm in any of the documentation I have read to
date.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this one its at an early
stage but I just want to get the map down for the migration. Whatever route I
choose the swap over will be done inline, I will migrate the data to the new vm
(using robocopy) kill access to the physical box do a final diff and name the
virtual system to the correct name (the fqdn is very important in my company it
referenced in allot of build scripts as we are a software house).

Cheers
Ian