The backup solution will be robust we are implementing a new hardware layer for
this using disk based backup . Regarding the vmfs solution being more complex
the idea is its allot more easier to manage. From reading allot of
documentation it seems to be indicating the vmfs volumes with large disks is a
viable option just look at the link below for some info. Initially I would not
have imagined his would be recommended at all but it doesn't seem to be the
case . Maybe the improvement in the vmfs file system has brought it to this
point. I don't think there is much difference in terms of performance when it
comes to vmfs v rdm.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10799