We use an asset management and tracking tool to show the assignment of PCs
to users. The PC names don't have any relationship to the user. Putting user
information in the PC names doesn't scale well, as you note.

-Malcolm

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 10:53
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Workstation names and who it belongs to

How do you guys handle matching users to machines? We currently have a PC
naming standard of <firstinitial><lastname>-<model> but this obviously
doesn't scale. One possibility is putting the user name in the description
field in AD (I do this for %sidejob%), but I was wondering if there was a
better way to automatically get a machine <->user lookup.

How do you guys handle it?

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764