From: Steve Kelsay [mailto:kels...@sctax.org]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 3:57 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Way OT - Anyone here had Lasik? How has it impacted your daily
work (looking at screens, keyboards, etc)

I had Lasik, Note, there is a difference between Lasik and Lasek. You
should check your surgeon for an explanation. One heals faster than the
other and one is more involved than the other. Do not get both eyes done
at once! In spite of the propaganda. My results were mixed. The left eye
was perfect the first time from day one. My right eye had 4 (four)
retreatments and still is worse than it was when they started. Not by
much, but still worse. That being said, I would do it again in a
heartbeat. My right eye is an exception, and even then, it is not bad.

My experience was tempered as well by getting a deal. Doing it at a
teaching hospital saved me all except 300 dollars total, not per eye.
The is a savings of about $5600.00 at today's cost of $4000 per eye. The
doctors just do the exam and make the calculations. The laser technician
actually does the surgery. There is a bit of surgery done at the
beginning and at the end to roll the top skin layer off the cornea and
back on, but it is (as I understand it) minor. They put a soda straw
(OK, maybe not) with a rubber tip on the eye and drop Alcohol into it
for 30 seconds to separate the flap of skin. Then they cut around that
flap and roll it back. This exposes the cornea for the laser to do its'
work. Then the laser program that has been entered into the machine
shapes the cornea, the flap is rolled back and a clear contact lens is
put on to protect the flap while it attaches. I 1-6 days (lasek vs
lasik) the thing is pretty much done. With the easier of the two (forgot
which is which) you can see immediately. With the other, you will have a
blurred vision for a while, perhaps up to 2 weeks. And a gradual
improvement over the next 6 months. All is painless. Remember though
that you WILL need glasses. Not the big coke bottle ones like before,
but you will either get both eyes for distance, in which case you will
need reading glasses, or monovision (one distance, one near) in which
case you will want a pair to drive with at night, to even out the near
vision eye so you can see distance at night with lights glaring at you.

I am sure there has been Improvement in the last three years, which is
when I had mine done. Go for it. Can't miss, even when it does not fully
work.