On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Steve Ens <stevey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a 10.0.0.x/24 network
> that needs to have access to certain ports on a server that is on a
> 192.168.1.x/24 network.

  Again: Please describe the network topology.  In particular, we
still don't know if those two IP networks are in the same broadcast
domain or different VLANs or what, nor do we know if the ports on that
server are TCP, UDP, or what.

  Please help us help you.

> BUT the application involved apparently needs to see the
> IP address directly ...

  "need" is a strong word.  In my experience, truly *needing* that is rare.

  Can you tell us the application?  Perhaps someone here is familiar with it.

  Please describe the failure mode.  Do you get an error message, does
the program just hang, is it supposed to discover the server somehow
but says it cannot find it, ...?

  One common scenario is a discovery thing which uses UDP broadcast to
find like nodes on the same local IP network.  Sometimes, such things
allow you to manually enter an IP address or hostname; look for that.

  If not, UDP broadcast forwarding may work.  This has your router
forward select UDP broadcasts to another IP network.  The node on the
other network sees the broadcast, but sends the reply via the normal
IP mechanisms, and routing handles the rest.  The Procurve 2910 has
this feature, or so the docs claim.

  Failing that, proxy ARP will sometimes get you there.  Here, your
route answers ARP requests for an IP address on a non-local network.
Again, the docs say Procurve 2910 has this feature.

  If you're not familiar with these things, please check the docs; if
you still need help, please explain what with.  :)

-- Ben