On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Ruben Safir wrote:

> Clearly you depend on Verizon for access to your customer base. Clearly
> Verizon is a Common Carrier and Clearly YOU become a Common Carrier once
> someone purchases service from you.
>
> When you become a Commmon Carrier, the public has every right to expect
> unobstructive, and regulated business practices.
You have an interesting definition of common carrier.

Please explain me more, what exactly 'common carrier' does mean under your
standards.

And then, please read 47 CFR parts 20-68 with regard what it actually
means.

> Actually, it is.  And, BTW, your opinion on this issue is not an
> isolated example.  You have repeatedly favored giving businesses extra
> rights which limit the use and access to communication systems purchased
> in good faith by indiciduals for their needs.  This has been a common
> thread with you from the GPL, to DRM, and now network access.  You
> positions are fundementally in opposition to Free Software, and any
> other community based initiative.
Well, in other words, I respect property rights (whether it is real
property, or intellectual property) while you promote the 'rights of
consumer' to the extreme.

> You also skipped over the admitence on your part of agreeing that their
> is a moral basis for regulating common carriers.  If the details of fair
> implementation of Network Neutralily bothers you, I strongly suggest
> that you give up on your original position, a position which would
> clearly shoot your own business model in the foot, and join the
> conversation of those working to assure fair access to all individuals
> to "the network" when purchasing necessary common carrier access which
> remains the cornstone of the internet and our revolutionary digitally
> dependent society circa 2006.
I think you intentionally misread what I want to do. I'll repeat, for
posterity, 'If a monopoly carrier chooses not to allow others to have
access to its network for resale, it should be bound by the "neutrality"'.

Please stop cc'ing the posts to your private mailing list.

-alex