Common carrier
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A common carrier is an organization that transports a product or service
using its facilities, or those of other carriers, and offers its
services to the general public.

Traditionally common carrier means a business that transports people or
physical goods. In the 20th century, the term came to refer also to
utilities (those transporting some service such as communications or
public utilities). The term differs from private carrier, which operates
solely for the benefit of one entity and does not offer services to the
general public

That should end the discussion on common carriers.  Any fair minded
individual can clearly understand that the sentence

"Internet Service Providers generally wish to avoid being classified as
a "common carrier" and, so far, have managed to do so."

means that ISPs have managed enough political power to prevent their
rightful regularity definition as common carriers.  But that has nothing
to do with the clear fact that they are a common carrier, and if they
mess up network neutrality, they will be facing far more regulations to
protect the public from any gross violation of unfair business practice.

Ruben