Out of band is the correct term here and at least half the people here figured
it out intuitively. I still like it better than other suggestions and think
this would be a non-issue if the spec spells is out "use 'oob' (out of bank)".

I think using a value to indicate oob is better than empty or no parameter
because we *know* that will work. We are not sure yet about how the other
options will affect different systems and we don't have time to fully find out.

EHL