On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Luca Mearelli <luca.meare...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do agree with what you propose, but I don't think the new wording vs
> the old is enough to keep working those desktop apps that "do not have
> support for entering verification codes" as the revised spec says:
>
> "In order to ensure that the User granting access is the same User
> returning back to the Consumer to complete the process, the Service
> Provider MUST generate a verification code: a non-guessable value
> passed to the Consumer via the User and REQUIRED to complete the
> process."
>
> it seems that it doesn't allow closing the loop without the
> verification code being passed from consumer to service provider.
>
> (sorry if this sounds silly, I'm just trying to understand & help and
> i don't want to start a new infinite discussion ...)

Sorry, no, I'd just missed that part of the revised spec. I'm
proposing to modify that for desktop / mobile consumers so that it's
*not* required. There was some discussion of usability concerns; maybe
those are unfounded, but it's worth noting that existing oauth-like
flows for desktop applications (e.g., flickr auth) don't require a
secondary key confirmation.

Given that a service provider can reject any request that has a
referrer set (because desktop mobile apps *must* be, by definition,
referrerless), it's extremely difficult to exploit the desktop flow,
since the attacker would need to get the user to follow a link from
outside the browser and click "authorize" despite a strongly-worded
warning.

b.