In practice, I imagine most SPs will do the following: roll out compatible
support for 1.0 and 1.0 Rev A, and provide extra warning messages on the
consent page for 1.0 consumers. To do it any other way would break all
existing implementations. Then SPs will encourage their Consumers to move to
1.0 Rev A (and Consumers will be naturally inclined to do this as a way to
get rid of the scary warning message). Then at some point in the future, SPs
may stop supporting 1.0 entirely.

Thanks, js