It seems that the basic problem here is that we have a monolithic
version number for API calls and the handshake/dance protocol.  There
are a couple of possible solutions that result if we use two
identifiers, one for the signature protocol and another for the
handshake protocol.

Option #1 -- oauth_version varies by request.

One way to indicate that we are using the new handshake protocol is by
incrementing the oauth_version parameter for handshake requests, and
leave it at 1.0 for api requests.

   oauth_version=1.1    handshake requests
   oauth_version=1.0    API requests

Option #2 -- oauth_version with split out signature/handshake versioning

If we anticipate that signature methods change over time independently
of handshake versioning then we might want to consider a multi-part
version that contains the signature version first followed by the
handshake version.  For non-handshake requests the handshake version
is omitted:

   oauth_version=1.0/1.1  handshake requests.
   oauth_version=1.0         api requests.

Option #3 -- Separate oauth_handshake_version parameter

If we want full clarity we could introduce a new parameter that tracks
the handshake protoocol:

   oauth_version=1.0&oauth_handshake_version=1.1  handshake request

oauth_version
=1.0                                                              api
request

Personally I'm not in favor of using heuristics to determine protocol
versioning -- this leads to a lot of complexity and confusion for
server and client side implementations and reminds me way to much of
browser/capability sniffing in javascript.

Paul