+1, but why only partially?

I would like to add another use case for a standardized token format. Suppose a software vendor wants to built and sell a standard software component (service), e.g. an address book service, which is secured using OAuth2. Having a standardized token format would make the integration of that "standard software" within customer deployments easier. Indeed, the customers authorization server must "speak" that token format.

SAML would be a natural candidate from my point of view, a more compact variant (based on JSON?) would be fine.

I think, a standard token format should be covered in a separate specification.

regards,
Torsten.