--- In obrolan-bandar@yahoogroups.com, Hoki Tralala <hoki.tral...@...> wrote:

> AIG sama eropa hubungannya apa ya? :-)

reply :

AIG dari bisnis traditional asuransi sudah berubah menjadi raksasa sebagai
HedgeFunD dan hancur lebur.......bisnis AIG yang sudah kait mengkait dengan
ekonomi Europa, dampak domino yang akan membuat system Banking, Insurance,
PensionFund dll berantakan.

"AIG used to be in the conventional insurance business, covering identifiable
risks it knew something about, until it took advantage of deregulation and a
lack of government surveillance to come up with contrived new financial
products. Even Maurice Greenberg, the man who built AIG from the ground up over
a span of 40 years before he was forced out amid corruption charges in 2005,
admits that he didn't understand the newfangled financial gimmicks that the
company was peddling. This week, claiming he too was swindled, Greenberg sued
in federal court, charging the AIG execs who forced him out with "gross, wanton
or willful fraud or other morally culpable conduct," over the credit default
swap portfolio that was part of his settlement.

US taxpayers now have ownership of almost 80 percent of AIG, but with the
company's once solid traditional insurance business now suffering a steep loss
of consumer confidence, it's not likely that even the formerly healthy parts of
the company will be worth much. What we have here is all pain and no gain for
the taxpayers roped into this debacle, which is proving to be the story of the
entire banking bailout. '

Reference dibawah ini.

regards

AIG: Billions Dished Out in the Dark
By Robert Scheer

March 4, 2009

    * Email
    * Print
    * Share
          o Buzz up!
          o Buzzflash
          o del.icio.us
          o Digg
          o Facebook
          o Add to Mixx!Mixx it!
          o Reddit

      What is this?
    * Take Action
    * Web Letters (2)
    * Write a Letter!
    * Subscribe Now

Robert Scheer is the editor of Truthdig, where this article originally
appeared. His latest book is The Pornography of Power: How Defense Hawks
Hijacked 9/11 and Weakened America(Twelve).

This is crazy! Forget the bleating of Rush Limbaugh; the problem is not with
the quite reasonable and, if anything, underfunded stimulus package, which in
any case will be debated long and hard in Congress. The problem is with what is
not being debated: the far more expensive Wall Street bailout that is being
pushed through--as in the case of the latest AIG rescue--in secret, hurried
deal-making primarily by the unelected secretary of the treasury and the
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Share this article

    *
    *
    *
    * Add to Mixx!
    *
    *

    * Related
    * Also By

    *
      Comes the Change

      U.S. Economy

      Robert L. Borosage: Obama's first budget is an audacious plan to
transform America. But in sad testament to how deeply we've fallen, it is not
bold enough.
    *
      America Is #... 15? Subscribe

      U.S. Economy

      Dalton Conley: Because of income inequality, the United States scores
poorly on a new index of general well-being.
    *
      A Bank Bailout That Works

      U.S. Economy

      Joseph E. Stiglitz: Banks have polluted the economy; it's a matter of
equity and efficiency that they clean it up.

» More

    *
      AIG: Billions Dished Out in the Dark

      U.S. Economy

      Robert Scheer: Taxpayers now own 80 percent of virtually worthless
AIG--for us, this bailout is all pain and no gain.
    *
      Obama's Toughest Task

      U.S. Economy

      Robert Scheer: Obama's address to Congress was a gift to a dispirited
nation. Now the hard work begins to transform vision to reality--but how can we
do it by waging another war?
    *
      Good Money After Bad

      U.S. Economy

      Robert Scheer: Obama's stimulus bill is far too modest to arrest an
economy in free fall. But if it were up to the GOP, which largely created the
mess, we'd be doing nothing at all.

Six months ago, we taxpayers began bailing out AIG with more than $140 billion,
and then it went and lost $61.7 billion in the fourth quarter, more than any
other company in history had ever lost in one quarter. So Timothy Geithner and
Ben Bernanke huddled late into the night last weekend and decided to reward AIG
for its startling failure with thirty billion more of our dollars. Plus, they
sweetened the deal by letting AIG off the hook for interest it had been
obligated to pay on the money we previously gave the company.

AIG doesn't have to pay the 10 percent interest due on the preferred stock the
US government got for the earlier bailout funds because that interest will now
be paid out only at AIG's discretion, which means never. The preferred stock,
which got watered down, carried a cumulative interest, meaning we taxpayers
would have recaptured some money if the company ever got going again, but that
interest obligation was waived in the new deal.

We've already given AIG a total of $170 billion--an amount that dwarfs the $75
billion allocated to helping those millions of homeowners facing foreclosures.
And more will be thrown down the AIG rat hole because President Barack Obama is
blindly following the misguided advice of his top economic advisers, who insist
that AIG is too big to fail.

"AIG provides insurance protection to more than 100,000 entities, including
small businesses, municipalities, 401(k) plans and Fortune 500 companies who
together employ over 100 million Americans," the joint Treasury Department and
Fed statement declared while insisting that for that reason, plus the "systemic
risk AIG continues to pose and the fragility of markets today, the potential
cost to the economy and the taxpayer of government inaction would be extremely
high."

What about the cost of inaction by Treasury and the Fed before this meltdown?
If AIG were so important to the American economy, shouldn't government
regulators have been looking more closely at its activities? They couldn't
then, and even now they don't understand what AIG has been up to, because the
company was allowed to operate in an essentially unregulated global economy in
which multinational corporations have their way. As the Treasury/Fed statement
concedes: "AIG operates in over 130 countries with over 400 regulators and the
company and its regulated and unregulated subsidiaries are subject to very
different resolution frameworks across their broad and diverse operations
without an overarching resolution mechanism."

Oh, really? And you're discovering that only now, when you're making us bail
AIG out? It wasn't that long ago that a couple of hustlers operating out of an
AIG office in London were going wild making money off selling insurance on
credit default swaps that no one could understand, but the company execs loved
those huge profit margins. To challenge their maneuvering, as some in Congress
attempted, was said by their defenders, including Geithner, to put them at an
unfair disadvantage in the world market. Ignorance was bliss... until the
bubble burst.

This was all belatedly conceded by Bernanke in his Senate testimony on Tuesday:
"AIG exploited a huge gap in the regulatory system. There was no oversight of
the Financial Products division. This was a hedge fund, basically, that was
attached to a large and stable insurance company, made huge numbers of
irresponsible bets--took huge losses. There was no regulatory oversight because
there was a gap in the system."

Kirim email ke