----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Ogf-l] PI Spell Names

In a message dated 2/20/2004 2:38:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<For example looking through the spells I see one called Eclipse. Given that the spell causes an eclipse I am stumped as to how you could remove this PI name from the spell and replace it!>>

Try:

"Blotting Out the Sun"
"Darkness Falls Across the Land"
"Shadowy Hand of Hidden Sun"
"Creeping Shadow of the Stolen Sun"

Ars Magica proves time and time again that creative names for otherwise mundane effects are possible.

By the "white out" theory you could probably get away with calling something by a PI'd name if that name was so brutally obvious that 99 out of 100 people would agree that it belongs there.  However, the "forbidden terms" reading prohibits it, and treats your agreement not to use the word "Eclipse" in conjunction with the spell as a form of quid pro quo for being able to use the OGC.
Actually reading the spell description your "Blotting Out The Sun" is a better name than the original as the spell uses the plane of shadows to cover a much larger area of a planet than would be effected by a real eclipse. It also doesn't move any moons into a position between you and a sun (or suns).

Sometimes simple names for spells are better than creative ones, however as this is a 9th level spell I suppose it should have a fancy sounding name. I suppose I just need to get a good thesaurus!

David Shepheard