I changed my client side gui application to Hibernate from db4o OODBMS.
Hibernate seemed to work very well until I ran into the problem: Lazy
collections cannot be accessed(throws exception) after a Session is closed.
The Hibernate code stores a reference to the Session and you must explicity
reassociate all persistent object references with the new Session before
accessing the lazy collection. So...I tried to keep the Session open for the
lifetime of the user Session but hibernate will not support this. Sessions
have to be opened and closed with each unit of work. I also had issues with
stale cache and that there is no simple way to clear or bypass the cache
other than nullifying the Session which, in turn, caused the problem
accessing lazy collections from a persistent object reference which was
loaded from a Session which has been closed.