Hi Max,

> Hi!
>
> Just want to ask/clarify some stuff on this one - sorry for
> the late "answer" ;)
>
> > Happily:
> >
> > OJB provides much more flexibility in caching; provides
> object-space
> > transactions in a non-managed environment (if you are
> running in a J2EE
> > container which provides JTA than this is probably a wash
> as you will
> > probably want to use JTA for transactions and both OJB and
> Hibernate
> > support using JTA);
>
> May I ask what object-space transactions you mean OJB provides that
> Hibernate does not ? (Is it the ODMG stuff you are referring to, which
> requires extra tables in the db ?)

The three high-level APIs (ODMG, JDO and OTM) provide full object level
transaction management. They provide a full instance life-cycle model as
specified by the JDO spec.
By using JTA these tx managers can be integrated into J2EE containers or
other JTA compliant tx managers.

The ODMG implementation *does not* require any additional tables in general!
- If you want to use special persistent collections (DList, DMap, etc) you
must provide additional tables to hold these entities.
(AFAIK Hibernate does currently not provide support for the ODMG persistent
collections. I'm pretty sure that once you start to implement them you will
end up in providing some tables to hold their data...)
- If you want to run OJB/ODMG on a cluster you need an additional lock table
in the DB which is used to synchronize transactions across the cluster.

<snip>

> > The biggest thing is a core design difference where OJB is
> > designed to be very flexible and allow you to get exactly
> what you need
> > whereas Hibernate is designed to do it one way and make
> that one way
> > match what most people need.
>
> Yes - that's probably the biggest difference between OJB and
> Hibernate.
> Hibernate want KISS, OJB want ultimate flexibility ;)

My impression is that this was true some time ago, but you are adding a lot
of pluggable features into Hibernate these days (Field access strategies,
Cache implementations, etc.).
I don't believe that a KISS approach works for a heavy duty O/R tool. Users
work in so many different environments with so many different
requirements...
So IMO best thing to do is to design for ultimate flexibility from scratch.

>  > Finally, the licensing issue is either a
> > huge difference or a doesn't-matter depending on your
> company's lawyers
> > and/or how you intend to distribute the application -- OJB is ASL
> > Hibernate is LGPL.
>
> Just remember to read of license faq which states that
> Hibernate can be used
> in any project commercially or not - and without making your
> project opened source!
>
> The only "limitations" is that you cannot fork Hibernate
> (write ya' own persistence engine)
> and that if you make some improvements to hibernate you
> should submit them back
> to the project.

IMO this *is* a limitation! OJB was build to allow users to write their own
persistence engines by reusing our code-base. Apart from providing object
orient persistence API's it's also meant as a construction kit for
persistence layers.

> > On the other hand Hibernate provides two things that OJB
> does not -- a
> > forthcoming book

There are already several books available that have a decent coverage of
OJB.
(e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596003285/qid%3D1054656123/sr%3D2-1/
ref%3Dsr%5F2%5F1/102-4902036-7120135 and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861007817/qid=1054655953/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-4902036-7120135?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

A book exclusive covering OJB is also under discussion.

> and the ability to easily hand it a JDBC
> Connection and
> > have it use that Connection (this can be done via some voodoo-like
> > runtime configuration of OJB, but isn't a good idea --

Of course OJB allows you to provide your own connection lookup mechanism.
It would take about 5 Minutes to write a ConnectionManager implementation
that can work with user connections. Until today nobody requested this
feature...

According to Clark's law "sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic" (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ClarkesLaw). But the
OJB metadata and configurtaion framework applies patterns that are known for
ages and covered by tons of textbooks
(http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?MetaObjectProtocol,http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TheArtOfTh
eMetaObjectProtocol). So calling it voodoo is really giving to much credit
to OJB ;-)

> OJB
> pretty much
> > needs to know the JNDI lookup for your DataSource in its
> configuration).
>
> ok - did not knew that. I seem to remember using OJB before
> without requiring
> any kind of JNDI!?

Correct, JNDI is not mandatory, it's an option.

cheers,
Thomas