Hi,

Just to clarify the clarification :

>  > Finally, the licensing issue is either a
> > huge difference or a doesn't-matter depending on your
> company's lawyers
> > and/or how you intend to distribute the application -- OJB is ASL
> > Hibernate is LGPL.
>
> Just remember to read of license faq which states that
> Hibernate can be used in any project commercially or not - and without
making your
> project opened source!

I was about to say the LGPL is not as simple as that; but having just read
the License FAQ, I see that Hibernate have been very clear about how they
interpret the LGPL. All credit to the hibenate team for that ! I still think
that corporate lawyers may disagree with the "hibernate" interpretation.

 > On the other hand Hibernate provides two things that OJB
> does not -- a
> > forthcoming book and the ability to easily hand it a JDBC
> Connection and
> > have it use that Connection (this can be done via some voodoo-like
> > runtime configuration of OJB, but isn't a good idea -- OJB
> pretty much
> > needs to know the JNDI lookup for your DataSource in its
> configuration).
>
> ok - did not knew that. I seem to remember using OJB before
> without requiring
> any kind of JNDI!?

Yes, you can do that (not use JNDI). Brian's just saying that with hibernate
you (as a hibernate user) can create your own connection and give to
hibernate to be used. With OJB, you have to do a bit more work to achieve
the same gaol.

Cheers,

Charles.