I would normally argue for identifying all things of interest as a
resource, events being commonly overlooked.

In that vain, identifying the birth event would make sense, however my
reason for trying to identify all objects of interest (including
events) is that it allows you and others to say things about them.

In the case of births, and deaths but less so, there doesn't seem to
be much in the way of things to say, so I am less convinced of the
value over a simple birthdate property.

Rob Styles
Talis

On 9 Jun 2010, at 20:43, "Lee Passey" <l...@novomail.net> wrote:

> On 6/8/2010 7:19 PM, Ross Singer wrote
>
> [snip]
>
>> Interesting you consider RDF/FOAF a "band-wagon", considering FOAF
>> predates JSON (outside of merely being considered "a subset of
>> JavaScript").  It might also be considered "a ranklable offense" to
>> disparage RDF simply because you don't understand it or it's not
>> useful to you.  Do the JSON and XML serializations require this level
>> of justification?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> As a matter of fact, I think OL's decision to use JSON, not merely
> as a
> data transfer format but also as a data storage format, to be probably
> the most ill-advised decision it has ever made. I suspect that the
> decision was made almost exclusively as a "band-wagon," and had this
> kind of spirited debate occurred at that time we would have had a much
> more robust data set with fewer duplicates.
>
> As it happens, I am becoming convinced that "foaf:person" and the
> "foaf"
> name variations are probably the best choice for encapsulating
> personal
> information in OL RDF, and I am arriving at that conclusion primarily
> because of the information and arguments made here.
>
> Debate is good.
>
> Questioning assumptions is good.
>
> Trying to identify your consumer and his/her/its needs is good.
>
> Unquestioning acceptance of the latest fad is bad.
>
> That having been said, I think the best way to encode dates of birth
> and
> death should be:
>
> <bio:Birth>
>   <dc:date
> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime";>[some
> date]</dc:date>
> </bio:Birth>
> <bio:Death>
>   <dc:date
> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime";>[some
> date]</dc:date>
> </bio:Death>
>
> Would someone like to talk me out of this now?

Find out more about Talis at http://www.talis.com/
shared innovation™

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of
Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and
any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the
intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please
return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an
unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is
registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court,
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.