On 14/06/2011 23:08, Rob Weir wrote:
Note the requirements here under "Using a wiki to Create Documentation".  It
looks like we need to restrict write access to that wiki to those who have
returned iCLA's to Apache.

This is correct if you intend for the wiki content to be made available via your project website or distributed as part of a release. I don't think this is necessary if you have a wiki in the cwiki.apache.org or wiki.apache.org and have no intention of exporting this content (other mentors will correct me if I'm wrong).

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

I wonder if this becomes easier if we segregate the documentation onto its
own wiki?

We have an SVN backed CMS system which is ideal for building project websites. As Joe said elsewhere this is a home-grown, markdown based system. It has the advantage of providing both a web based and SVN based editing environment (although to be honest the web based interface is usable but clunky - don't tell Joe though he wrote it for us - volunteers welcome)

For documentation that you intend to distribute this is probably the best system as you don't have to maintain separate access rights and people can work offline with the sources. It also means that your documentation writers are treated as first class citizens on ASF infrastructure.

The downside is that your documentation writers will need to be able to use SVN and some simple python scripts to work efficiently (the web interface is fine for quick edits).

The CMS doesn't seem to be mentioned on the page you link to above. For more info see http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

Ross

-Rob