On 10/21/2011 04:52 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.sch...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On 10/20/2011 04:04 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Am 10/20/2011 09:04 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

Proposal:

1) Create a single user-language list for each native language where
there is an active user list today, and where we can identify three
committed moderators, preferably at least one from the PMC.

Before this I would ask on all language-respective MLs if someone is
still at home and would like to come over to ASF; also because the OOo
MLs will be shutdown in x days. Even when the most requests will be in
English (as we cannot translate the text into all languages) we should
get feedback. So, as more people will respond it will justify a new ML.

If there is currently a discuss list as well as a user list in that
language, combine then into the user list.

Currently, that would mean the creation of the following new lists
(assuming we find moderators), like:

ooo-users-de (German)
ooo-users-fr (French)
ooo-users-it (Italian)
ooo-users-es (Spanish)
ooo-users-br-pt (Brazilian Portuguese) (or can we generalize this to
pt in general?)

Yes, lets start with a common ML.

ooo-nl (Dutch)
ooo-ja (Japanese)

Do you mean a different one as we have already a "ja" one?

This looks fine but is there some way we can keep the naming convention the
consistent for all -- i.e. ooo-"lang" vs. ooo-users-"lang".

I think it would make things easier in the long run.

So these are user lists.  Will we want language-specific translation
and localization lists at some point?  That is why I thought it would
make sense to have "user" in the name.  So then in the future we can
have, e..g., ooo-translate-de, etc., if needed.

-Rob

oh -- I see. This makes sense.

I vote for the ooo-users-"lang" construct as a starting point for the creation of the NL lists.

There may be other language we want to cover as well. The list
above is intended to illustrative, not exclusive. The important thing
is that when dealing with users, we need to meet them on their terms,
not ours. The request for at least three moderators is because a user
list needs more than just spam protection. We need moderators
committed to actively participate on those lists. A user list that
has been abandoned is very bad for the image of the project. Since
the PPMC cannot easily monitor what is happening on a non-English
mailing list, we will need to have high confidence that there are
sufficient volunteers on the list to make it succeed.

IMHO we should still wait for a number of users and interested people of
a specific language. Otherwise we have some MLs but no people.

For example, many weeks ago I've seen a request to create a German ML
but after that no more support and therefor the request is dead.
However, until today I don't see sorrow about this.

2) For project-related (as opposed to user-related) lists, align them
with the closest existing AOOo list.

For example:

de.business -->  ooo-marketing
nl.marketing -->  ooo-marketing
fr.dev -->  ooo-dev

and so on. We're a single Apache project with a single product.
Although there may be local marketing efforts, there should be a
single marketing conversation. Ditto for other aspects of the
project.

The net result will be take 300+ existing OOo mailing lists and map
them to a much smaller number of AOOo mailing lists, maybe a dozen
total in the end. This will require understanding and good will from
all. Non-native English speakers and native speakers will need to
adjust how they interact, and in general be more understanding.

So that's my proposal. I have my asbestos underwear on. Feel free to
start the flaming,

Ahm, you know that asbestos is cancer-causing? I would recomment to
change to Teflon-coated underwear (should be comfortable up to 327 °C
resp. 620 °F). Otherwise cancer is not far away. :-P

SCNR

Marcus

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
           -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39