On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> wrote:
> André,
> Do we have an account of the difficulties encountered by the
> localizers of OOo language packs and related data? As to Rob's point,
> I think a relevant issue is that in translations such as those
> required by localizations, the word chosen to translate the original
> is an interpretation, and its quality (value) depends on the skill of
> the localizer.

And creating a catalog of birds observed in a park also requires
skill.  But that does not make it a creative work.

Compare the following catalogs:

A phone book:

Abel, George W, 212-332-3294
Abel, Thomas S. 212-433-2322

etc.

A catalog of weather observations:

1970-12-01, Boston, 42.3, 18.2, 5, NE
1970-12-02, Miami, 74.2,  52.6, 10, SW

A list of biographical information:

Napoleon Bonaparte, French, 1769-1821
Frederick the Great, German, 1712-1786

A tagged list of words in a language:

agricola, agricolae (m) (noun)
amo, amare, amavi, amatus sum (verb)

These are all just lists of facts. You might try to claim a copyright
on the particular selection and arrangement of these facts, but the
underlying facts cannot be protected.  So, for example, some could
extract (reverse engineer) the underlying facts from the work, and
arrange them differently or with a different selection, and it would
be perfectly fine.  Copyright does not protect the underlying facts,
no matter how hard it was for someone to collect the facts to to type
them in.

-Rob