I don't want to get into this particular discussion.  I think viable
approaches are on the table and I have nothing to add.

As an armchair copyright maven, here is something on the specific case of
translations:

In US Copyright, one of the exclusive rights of a copyright holder is the
creation of translations of the copyrighted work.  (Translation is included
under "derivative work" by definition).

I can't tell from the brief statement Gianluca provides whether the Italian
law is addressing the same point, but it appears to be.

Since a translation is explicitly included as a possible "work made for hire"
in the US Copyright regime, a licensed (i.e., non-infringing) translation is
presumably copyrightable subject matter.  Who holds the copyright is probably
subject to the license agreement.

In the various open source licenses that apply to literary works (including
software but certainly documentation), the conditions on derivative works
apply transitively to translations of those licensed works as well.

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamil...@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid

PS:  When a different programming-language implementation of the same function
achieved in another work fails to be a derivative work of the other work is a
touchy subject and I'll not go there.  That's what judges are for and the
prudent approach is to avoid ever having to come under such judgment.