Regular readers of this list might recall discussions by Khirano, Rob and
others about the fate of the Native Language projects in OOo. I'm not sure what
the outcome was, and a quick browse of archives didn't really enlighten me, as
it seems things were left hanging.

I'd like to see if we can resolve this issue. A recap: OOo had many
"native-language projects" in which non-coding discussions were in the native
tongue, e.g., Russian, Viet, Brazilian Portuguese, Gaelic(s), and so on. At any
given moment there were about a hundred, and one can see these listed still at
http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html.

These were non-coding projects but also were designed to provide a path for
contributors to gain both the skills and community respect to gain more power
within the project. They also served as "homes" for a lot of l10n work, though
there was no necessary connection between one and the other. That is, there
could be an l10n effort but no corresponding Native Language project, and vice
versa.

The projects had their shortcomings. First, I had set them up as *linguistic*
projects so as to maximise the global distribution of any given language's
speakers, and to minimise nationalist claims to any language, which I saw as
potentially limiting. Second, the NL projects did not easily lend themselves to
in-person communication, which, as we all know, is where the real community
action takes place. it was therefore difficult to arrange for meetings,
conferences, outreach programmes, and so on, at least coming from the NL
projects, though there were, of course, signal exceptions, such as German, or
French, where there was already an engaged body and commercial infrastructure.

Consequently, over several OOoCons, I proposed and to a degree, put into
action, a skeleton method by which there could be regional modules whose remit
was to do on-the-ground community development. They would be aided by the
central OOo but otherwise they were left up to their own devices. Raphael's
Swiss NGO and community is the best example, but there are others. The problem
here, was that there was in this instance, as in others, scant attention paid
by the corporate overlord, as it did not obviously contribute to *coding* (and
if it had, no doubt other problems and issues would have been discovered
invalidating the effort).

Now to the present issue. I've written that I would rather focus here, in
Apache land, on coding. But that only opens the door, as it were, to
establishing the very successful Native Language modules either in another wing
of Apache (??) or outside the Apache frame but corresponding to it, so that QA,
a key element of the NL projects, for instance, could be tied in. Licenses,
etc., would have to be harmonised. And I'd also suggest using a simpler work
medium, such as wikis.

I think some of this is already going on but it is not clear to me *what* is
going on or where. I'm not alone. I have received several pings on this very
question, and I'd like to move on it.

cheers
Louis

PS The majority of the NL projects reformed to constitute LibreOffice. Because
of disparities of license, I suppose harmonisation of effort will be more
difficult, but by no means ought it to be abandoned, if actual contributors
deem it worthwhile.  I dislike duplication of effort both as a project manager
and as someone who then has to persuade the bewildered user that A and B are
just alike but one is more equal than the other.