On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:

>> modified
>> >
>> > Thank you for pointing this out.
>> > This sounds pretty much unacceptable for Apache
>> > policies and a good reason to avoid carrying such
>> > code in our
>> > repository.
>> >

>> I don't see the issue here.  Can you point me to what
>> Apache policy is violated here?  Or argue how downstream
>> consumer of our releases will be harmed or confused by this?
>>

> We never impose a condition such of "make your modified
> files available electronically for 12 months". I surely
> don't expect anyone doing a SVN checkout to have to do
> that.

Again, where is the policy issue?   The category-b code is not in our
released source packages.  We're not imposing any extra conditions on
downstream consumers.  We're ensuring that the product can build and
run without any category-b modules.  So show me where the problem is.

Remember, the category-b prohibition is for source packages.  SVN is
not our source package.  A subset of files in SVN will comprise our
source release.

If you look carefully, you'll see that SVN, via the website stuff that
is now there, has tons of content now that is in incompatible
licenses, in the form of GPL and other licensed documentation.  Ditto
for the wiki.  Ditto for extensions site.  These are all hosted by the
Apache, on behalf of the project, but they are not part of our
releases.  Are you saying SVN must be cleaned of all of that, even if
it is not part of our releases?

>> > I do see a problem and unless some higher power from
>> > legal@ OKs it, my vote for a release or project
>> > graduation will be -1 (binding), on the basis that
>> > if we do this once we will likely be perpetuating
>> > such practice in all releases.
>> >

>> We already had this discussion before.  My impression
>> was it was resolved.
>> See:  http://markmail.org/message/2o42tzsw24z5znst
>>
> In that same thread the situation is left mostly
> unresolved. Ross in particular said:

You were looking for an opinion for Apache Legal.  Robert is a member
of Apache Legal Affairs, not Ross.

> "That is not my understanding. As far as I am aware
> automated downloading of incompatible licensed coffee
> is not acceptable."
>
> Furthermore there is a specidif statement that we do
> have to get the SVN tree clean of incompatible
> licenses (I never manage to find that link when I
> need it).
>
>> In any case, there are no vetos on release votes.
>>

> It does mean legal or someone else will have to look
> at it and solve it, which is what I am asking for.
> Just thought I should save you from surprises later
> on and avoid delays.

I'm happy to have someone review the issue, if you can state what the
policy issue is.  I simply don't see any problem here.  We're not
including category-b source code in our release, period.

-Rob