On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 18:53 +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Alexandro and all,
> >>
> >> Will @openofficeorg be under the Apache OpenOffice control? If this is the
> >> case, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use that one instead of the new
> >> ones. In case I'd recommend to upload the new logo, as well as to update
> >> the short description.
> >>

> > We've tried to contact the owner of @openofficeorg, to discuss putting
> > this account under PPMC control.  We have no had success with that. So
> > we're going forward with a new account.  It should be easy and quick
> > to get a similar number of followers once we promote it on the
> > homepage.
>
> They're using the Apache OpenOffice label, people will get confused,
> this is unfortunate. Wonder if Apache trademark policies allow them to
> do so, though.

> >> I had a look at the flow of questions and answers, it seems manageable to
> >> me.

> >> Here my list of recommendations:
> >>
> >> 1. Rebranding existing accounts (see above)
> >> 2. Spend some time to choose (few) people to follow (maybe using keywords
> >> like office suites, odf, open standards, etc).
> >>    As of today only Alexandro and Rob are followed by @openofficeorg,
> >> think we should spend some time to choose people to follow, so that it
> >> could be easier to engage in conversations using tools like googlefinder,
> >> Listorious, etc.
> >
> > That is an interesting point.  Many people decide who to follow based
> > on recommendation engines that look at existing following patterns in
> > Twitter.  So having a good set of mutual followers will help.
> >
> >> 3. Start simple. So announcements, news from our blog, new committers, etc.
> >> 4. Be consistent. Two message a day could be a good starting point, maybe
> >> once a day over the week-ends.
> >> 5. Don't follow back just for the sake of it, it's wise to follow only
> >> people we might want to engage with.
> >> 6. Start conversations with people we know, related projects, etc.
> >
> > For example, we might congratulate other OSS projects,Apache and
> > external, that make new releases, if these would be of interest to our
> > followers.
>
> And we could join conversations taking place in the open standards
> world if somehow related to ODF, etc. For example Andy Updegrove has
> now a twitter account, he might be someone to follow and to engage
> with.

Hi Roberto, Rob, Alexandro

hmm - I think for brevity I'd just this. As for approaches to how to
utilize an account(s) if you tossed out everything I said and replaced
it with what Roberto said I'd still be a happy guy. I also think that
'we' could waste on this, better used on other things.

So - I think Rob said this. The account name openoffice likely isn't
available to us. The existing account openofficeorg is, the registered
but not used account name apacheoo is also. So for today, let's say we
are covered.

I would lean, strongly, to use this as an opportunity to setup a new
account specifically to break out of this pack:

https://twitter.com/#!/OpenOfficeco
https://twitter.com/#!/jaopenofficeorg
https://twitter.com/#!/OpenOfficecz
https://twitter.com/#!/OpenOffice_Es
https://twitter.com/#!/OpenOfficeGuy
https://twitter.com/#!/freeopenoffice
https://twitter.com/#!/openoffice12
https://twitter.com/#!/openoffice110
https://twitter.com/#!/open_office_es
https://twitter.com/#!/ooomeguro
https://twitter.com/#!/openoffice
https://twitter.com/#!/openofficeorg
https://twitter.com/#!/OpenOfficeLan
https://twitter.com/#!/openoffice32
https://twitter.com/#!/ooocon
https://twitter.com/#!/matuaki_OOo

that is not a fully exhaustive list, but the highlights at least :)

With that said I'd like to propose that we end this thread and move this
traffic off the dev list, which is going to be busy I assume with the
release, and as Don has asked in his last email on the marketing list,
get together there - to put our options to use with a plan.

Sound reasonable?

//drew

<snip>