On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> When will you be specific?
>
> Are you concerned about the iCLA?
>
> That doesn't stop most people from helping on ooo-users or other lists.  It
> is not a condition for contributing to the Forums.  It is not a condition for
> submitting bug reports.  It is a condition for submitting work that is
> extensive enough to constitute intellectual property.
>
> For what specific purpose do you find an iCLA is required (or election as a
> committer, beyond that) that is objectionable to you?
>
> I don't think the iCLA matters to most people in the community that you are
> interested in and it will not arise as a requirement.
>
> Wanting root access to a server in the Apache Infrastructure is a different
> story.
>
> Please do not over-generalize.
>
> Until you make specific, actionable requests, there is going to be no
> constructive movement here.

+1 .   I think that is the key thing.  Instead of abstract discussions
about unnamed volunteers and the unstated things they want to do, we
should start be listing concrete things that specific volunteers want
to do now.   Over time then we can notice patterns in these requests
and take additional steps to streamline processes where needed.

I never claimed the project was perfect.  We all know that.  My only
point is that we should deal with specific concrete issues before we
try to solve generalities.