I have verified full build for Symphony's source code on Windows XP /
Ubuntu 11.04 / Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Here is a breif build guide for Symphony's source code
1) download Symphony's source code from
https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/test/danielsh/symphony-import/symphony/trunk/

2) download extra modules from

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/AOO34/ext_libraries/

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/AOO34/ext_sources/

3) dowload icu package from
http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.8.1/icu4c-4_8_1-src.tgz , put
it in ext_sources and rename it to
af36f635271a239d76d038d6cf8da8df-icu4c-4_8_1-src.tgz

4) cd $SRC_ROOT/main
    autoconf
    ./configure ...
    ./bootstrap
    source winenv.set.sh / MacOSXX86Env.Set.sh / LinuxX86Env.Set.sh
    cd instsetoo_native
    build --all -P4

For more details, please refer to this wiki page :
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_build_Symphony%27s_source_code

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang