On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Kevin Grignon
<kevingrignon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Great thread, many great research questions in here.
>
> Overall, we are moving in the right direction. We need to understand who
> uses AOO, and what they use it for. What works, what doesn't . Context of
> use, when and where is also important.

I bet almost all of our users (> 95%) are using OpenOffice as a
Microsoft Office substitute.   So their expectations and tasks are
highly influenced by the feature set and UI of Microsoft Office.   But
not necessarily the latest version of MS Office.  There is a lag.  So
Office 2003 might be more influential in expectations than the
"ribbon" UI of Office 2007 and later.  But this will shift over time.

There have been various attempts to re-imagine the basic editors, some
more successful than others.  Lotus tried with its Improv application
to take the spreadsheet to the next level.   Some users got it, but
the network effect of 1-2-3 (and later Excel) compatibility was too
great.   This is a huge effect in this market.  The value of user
training in the predominate editors as well the benefits of
interoperability with other editors that have a very similar feature
set -- these factors conspire to keep us in a narrow orbit around a
conventional view of personal productivity apps.

That said, it is possible to be bold and strike gold.  Prezi and their
unique view of a presentation is one example:  http://prezi.com/.   In
such cases the new feature set might be intrinsically so valuable to
the user that it more than compensates for the learning curve and
lower interop with other editors.  They re-base their expectations on
the new thing, and that defines the new normal.

So that is something we'll need to figure out:  What relative
attention should we give to:

1) improving the conventional set of features we already have in AOO?

2) Adding new features to achieve greater parity with MS Office?

3) Being bold and adding new features that don't exist anywhere else?

If you survey users, I bet you won't get many requests for #3.  And if
you queried users the day before the electronic spreadsheet was
invented no user would have asked for one either.

-Rob