> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Albino Biasutti Neto
>
> <biasut...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > 2012/5/20 Paulo de Souza Lima <paulo.s.l...@varekai.org>
> >
> > > I think you mean "How old are you?" =)
> >
> > Sorry, thanks.
> >
> > > Maybe we could contribute to improve those questions. My 2 cents:
> > >
> > > Are you using it at your work (ask where does he/she work) or at home,
> > > or both?
> > > Do you think you have enough support? Where do you use to get support?
> > > (manuals, friends, forum, mailing lists, etc)
> >
> > Good!
> >
> > Open to suggestions. :-)
> >
> > Albino
>
> Where will these questions be asked? During the download process? During
> the registration process? A poll on the web site?
>
> -Wolf
>
> PS Website polls 1 to 2 question open-ended questions (questions without a
> set choice of answers) have been known to produce very useful data-sets
> among users of public library services, and I would suggest that model as
> an interesting way to find out our own blind spots, regarding usage trends.
> Closed-end questions such as "do you like seagulls" can only get 3

Scaled response and open response questions are always better in terms of data
that is dealing with aesthetics and feelings.  The art with these answers is
in the interpretation.  A Yes/no response to a question is not an answer it's
a vote and a sign of lazy Poll design.  We don't need to do that, we don't
have department heads breathing down our necks and waving deadlines under our
noses so as there is no pressure, our Survey design should be tops.

What I would like to be able to do is to design a survey, collate the data,
make a decision based on that data, publish it and then be able to point
directly at a feature or design element that we can say was due to feedback
from the survey.  This gives our surveys gravitas with users and we are more
likely to get quality responses to later surveys.

Cheers
GL