On 6/20/12 12:15 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:01:10AM -0400, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> But none of you are native English speakers. English varies from
>>> country to country around the world. Why not disable or rename the
>>> second version when the name collides?
>>
>> we cannot edit the extensions, they are downloaded and packaged "as is".
>> On the other hand, the dict-en.oxt is a general dictionary extension, it
>> supports the following locales: en-GB en-US en-ZA en-AU en-CA
>
> Would it be possible to reject extensions where the name collides inside of
> AOO?

probably yes but a lot of work to workaround a bug in an extension. From
my perspective not worth the effort at the moment.

Config items can be overwritten by extension and the extension
deployment mechanism have no clue for what the config items are used.

> Perhaps a description of why the extension manager chooses the bad NZ over
> the preferred and correctly named versions? Is the last or first with the
> name chosen? Would a known bad actor patch work?

without checking the details, I assume the last extension who write the
config item wins.

> The proposed solution effects many more users than are experiencing the
> problem.

I see no real problem here.

> After all we are adding en-GB in this version.
I am not sure if I understand you here. The dict-en.oxt included en-GB
already, we include only the extension.

Another solution would be to include a dictionary for en-US only in the
en-US version, a en-GB only in the en-GB version and let all other en-*
locales install via extensions later. But for this solution we would
need clean dictionaries for en-US and en-GB only.

Anyway cleaning up the current situation and including dict-en.oxt only
is probably the best solution we can provide short term

Juergen