On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Andre Fischer <a...@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> On 20.06.2012 17:39, Stuart Swales wrote:
>>
>> On 20/06/2012 10:28, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>>
>>> On 19.06.2012 18:37, Stuart Swales wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> The reason for wanting to drop some of the english extensions is not a
>>> disregard for (of?) the english language and its variants.  In older
>>> versions of OpenOffice only the dict-en extension was included.  It is
>>> probably my fault that there are now five dictionary extensions.
>>>
>>> I added the functionality for downloading and integrating the extensions
>>> into the installation sets and used the information on [1] to setup the
>>> initial list of extensions to bundle.  Maybe the time has come to reduce
>>> that list to what is really needed.
>>>
>>> dict-en seems to support the variants (AU,CA,GB,US,ZA).  I say "seems"
>>> because I am neither a linguist nor do I have information beyond what
>>> the pages in the extension repository provide (see links to english
>>> dictionaries on [1]).  I don't know if the separate dictionaries for
>>> AU,NZ,CA, and US contain anything that is not already included in
>>> dict-en.
>>>
>>> If you or anybody else have/has more information then please share that
>>> with the rest of us so that we can make a decision based on facts
>>> whether to keep or to drop the extensions.
>>>
>>> -Andre
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bundled+Writing+Aids
>>

>> I can only really speak for en_GB here - David Bartlett put in a lot of
>> work to get a usable British English dictionary going in the early days
>> of OpenOffice.org and life was made much easier once that was
>> incorporated into the main build.  Obviously 95% or so of the word list
>> will be common across the English language variants but the 5% or so
>> that does differ matters greatly to 'natives'.  British English spelling
>> does vary trivially but significantly from US English spelling.  We have
>> important users over here including universities, a national newspaper,
>> city councils...
>>
>> If we were to kick out all non-en_US variants from the core build
>

> Please read what I wrote above.  It is the dict-en.oxt dictionary that I
> would like to keep, not en_US.oxt.  dict-en.oxt is, as far as I know the
> only one that HAS support for GB.

Does anyone know what this means, for a single dictionary to support
multiple language variants?

For example, "color" is US English, while "colour" is UK English.

If I use dict-en.oxt is it smart enough to mark one spelling correct
based on the current text locale? And reject the other spelling?  Or
does it permit both spellings in a single locale?

-Rob