On 19.06.2012 18:37, Stuart Swales wrote:
[...]
Please don't merrily discard the English language variant dictionaries -
they are really really important.

The reason for wanting to drop some of the english extensions is not a disregard for (of?) the english language and its variants. In older versions of OpenOffice only the dict-en extension was included. It is probably my fault that there are now five dictionary extensions.

I added the functionality for downloading and integrating the extensions into the installation sets and used the information on [1] to setup the initial list of extensions to bundle. Maybe the time has come to reduce that list to what is really needed.

dict-en seems to support the variants (AU,CA,GB,US,ZA). I say "seems" because I am neither a linguist nor do I have information beyond what the pages in the extension repository provide (see links to english dictionaries on [1]). I don't know if the separate dictionaries for AU,NZ,CA, and US contain anything that is not already included in dict-en.

If you or anybody else have/has more information then please share that with the rest of us so that we can make a decision based on facts whether to keep or to drop the extensions.

-Andre

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bundled+Writing+Aids