On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think there are benefits to both the CMS and the Pootle approaches, more
> thought will need to go into the timeline and how to fully leverage the
> human element between the project's base content, NL users and L10N
> Translators. As always our goal is to allow more and more of the community
> to be able to easily contribute.
>
> Let's divide up the process as follows. I'm adding the notion of a string
> table which could be implemented as a file for each language with:
>
> string.mdtext
> homepage: home
>
> string.fr.mdtext
> homepage: maison
>
> string.en-GB.mdtext
> homepage: home
>
> string.it.mdtext
> homepage: casa
>
> (A) Apache CMS - Web Content is Edited  / Website's built.
>         Some changes will be via string (sledgehammer ... ) and others by
> content page.
>
> (My outline)
>
> (B) CMS to Pootle process
>
> > 1) html2po and mdtext2po
>
>         Keep an index of the files included in this set. Perhaps use an
> attribute (mdtext) or metatag (html) to self identify translatable files.
>         (footer.mdtext must remain in English since it has legal
> implications and translators are unlikely to be IP lawyers.)
>
> > 2) Load into Pootle
>

>         Include string table changes made through CMS.
>         During load handle any differences caused by conflicts between
> changes made in (C) since the last (D)
>
> (C) Pootle Apache Instance
>
> > 3) Volunteers translate
>
>         Committers by name and contributors from po or other files.
>
> (D) Pootle to CMS process
>
> > 4) At specified time run po2html and po2mdtext
>
>         Use the index from (B) of the files included.
>
> > 5) check in the new website files
>
>         During merge handle conflicts between changes made in (A) since (B)
>
> (A) and (C) are continuous.
>
> (B) and (D) can be done in whatever sequence and frequency make sense to
> the L10N team.
>
> Are we getting to a reasonable framework? There certainly detail work
> about conversion in and out, but I do think this is something we can
> incrementally work towards together.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> >> With markdown it will be easy to have a header parameter that will
> signal the inclusion of an SSI detailing the machine translated page vs.
> human translation situation. By making it an SSI and translatable it can
> become something different language groups can handle in an organic way.
> We'll have an objective measure of the engagement of different language
> communities based on the the number of edits, number of translators and how
> up to date and/or responsive they are.
> >>
> >> I think we could start by creating a test-auto.mdtext file, and using
> the translate.google to convert it to 100 pages. Put the scripts in the
> ooo-site/trunk/tools/ directory. If they are perl scripts then in

more info on options...

this is an old article, but...

http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-translation-widgets/10135/

as an FYI, the translate "gadget" is still available:

http://www.gstatic.com/

is JS based and would be a good tool to use for stuff like "announcements"
etc if we wanted to send them out as HTML instead of text.

I guess this is what I was thinking about when I mentioned the blog
articles. This can be applied on a page by page basis. I have NO idea how
good it is though.

I have no experience with the "product" Rob originally mentioned --

https://translate.google.com/manager/

but since the setup seems to be "bulk" and the mdtext pages actually do get
translated to HTML before display, well, I would imagine the licensing
would get translated also?

So, Rob, in summary, I imagine you were thinking of this for the "english"
portions of our existing site(s) -- NOT the NL areas, correct?

We would need to find out how "tailorable" this is -- maybe we could
exclude areas.