In general, when dealing  with web-analytics opened in a browser window,
remember that there are a lot of users (often it's hard to believe how
many!) who, rather than closing the tab, leave it open.  With modern
browsers opening all of the old tabs after re-opening the browser
(browser upgrade, browser crash, reboot, or even the rare case of
someone intentionally closing the browser and re-opening it), you get a
lot of duplicates.  For one-time events, make sure that you're only
counting absolutely unique hits, which I believe you can get with
google...  For anything else, just read analytics with a grain of salt...

All the best,
  Issac