Le 26/09/12 07:11, Reizinger Zoltán a écrit :

Hi all,

Many public administrations in France, e.g. schools/colleges, town/city
halls that would have had OOo 3.3.x have not upgraded en masse : either
they have switched / are slowly switching to LO, or else they are
waiting for a feature complete version of AOOo on a par with what they
had in 3.3.x (or even 3.2.x in some cases) to come along.

Currently, as Zoltan has pointed out, that is not the case for the Base
module, which shows problems in ODBC/JDBC crashes/freezes, Reports and
Mailmerge features. The French administration makes fairly heavy use of
the database and mailmerge features, if they aren't working properly,
whether it be in AOO or LO, then obviously the admins are loathe to
switch, despite any security concerns that may be apparent. If you can
lockdown your security without losing functionality on an old version,
why change to something that might be more secure, but only gives you
three quarters of what you need ?

> Some features not supported in AOO 3.4.x especially, the report builder
> not developed any more,
> and Base users meet problems with reports containing charts.
> For this reason they after upgrade to AOO 3.4.x downgrade back az least
> one computer in companies
> to OOo 3.3 for report creating, and not care about update warning.
> And waiting for solution, and we can not provide them real solution,
> It is from forum posts (LibO no solutions for them, because their report
> builder has different bugs,
> which prevent from daily work.)

Yes, unfortunately, _both_ LO and AOO in their current incarnations
suffer from some serious usability issues with regard to Base, although
the rate of bug fixing with regard to these issues is higher (at least
in appearance from my following of the various bug reports) on LO than
AOO. The biggest problem that I see with LO as regards Base is that the
frenetic feature development in the other modules often comes at the
expense of increased instability in Base, due to incompatible code
changes, simple overwrites in git, or forgetfulness to adapt the changes
to those parts of the code that will also affect Base.

How many people are regularly working on fixing/maintaining the code in
Base in AOO ?

In the LO project there is mainly only 1 person at the moment in his
free time (although at least one other person is also starting to get
involved). To me, this shows clearly that past history, division of
labour, and incompatible code licensing schemes have not helped either
project. It also shows that Base development is not considered rewarding
enough by most would-be contributors. I don't remember how many people
were working on Base within Sun, but I seem to recall it was mainly 2 or
3 developers, plus a QA person (I could be wrong, it is just that I
never met any of the others online or in the bug reports)

The impact of the current state of affairs plays on people's fears - why
move to either LO or AOO when you can stick with OOo 3.3.x and continue
as before ? Both projects suffer from this image issue and the users
ultimately, are the one's who suffer. Yes, it might be free, but if it
doesn't work in the way it used to, why use it at all ?

These fears are those that need to be allayed, and they are not
unfounded. If the functionality of a user's choice of software goes down
from one release to the next, then that user will drop that shiny new
version in favour of its tried and trusted workhorse.

I'm not saying that the above is the only reason, just one of many
factors that needs to be considered. If the project wants AOO to be
adopted, then it has to look to provide the things that were there in
previous versions of OOo.

Alex