On 01/04/12 14:17, M. Fioretti wrote:
Users [thinking[ they are posting to a private address

write very big in the help pages and in the website that everything posted
to this address stays on the internet forever, and it's not your problem
anymore.

Hmmm. There's still those who 'bought' OOo on one of those dubious websites, and been given the mail list as the "support" email address. I see that as a good reason for requiring subscription.

If the archives don't look categorized and/or aren't easy to search it is
mainly for two reasons:

1) people fight to death on top vs bottom posting, but none of them ever
cares to TRIM useless text before replying. If they did, not only

A perennial problem, and not just here. uk.legal, for example, has posts where you wade through screenfuls of irrelevant, multiple-depth-quoted stuff to find the single-line followup at the bottom.

top-vs-bottom posting would stop being relevant in 90% of cases, but any
search would return 10 instead of 50 results.

2) Joe Clueless User must be excused if he sends an email with an empty or

Why? Even JCU must realise that a box for "subject" should contain /something/, surely? And a modicum of common sense would dictate that the mere fact of sending the mail says that "Help" is implicit, so the subject might just contain something useful instead. Maybe that's the problem - I fear "common sense" to be in increasingly short supply, and the list must needs cope.

totally useless subject like "help" or "openoffice". But the volunteer who
doesn't reply CHANGING THE SUBJECT TO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL (e.g. "how to
create a custom paragraph style, was "Help with paragraphs") is doing a
disservice open office, because he is filling the archives with messages
that aren't easy to search.

I agree. But I also have to admit I've done it. If you're dashing off a quick response to an easy query, it's too easy to forget. (Sorry!)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England