On Sun, April 1, 2012 4:31 pm, Mike Scott wrote:

> There's still those who 'bought' OOo on one of those dubious
> websites, and been given the mail list as the "support" email address. I
> see that as a good reason for requiring subscription.

First of all, if they politely ask for help instead of demanding a refund,
why shouldn't they get it? Secondly, IIRC, those people are MUCH less than
those who did download the software for free from the original website,
but will panic when subscribed to a mailing list, make everybody's life
impossible because they can't unsubscribe etc.

And in any case you will never cover all the possible cases with a bunch
of volunteers and none or very little money for infrastructure. Just
ignore the corner cases. Trying to deal with all the possible corner cases
of "how to recognize unsubscribed users from email headers" is what
paralyzed ooo-users for ten years.

> Why? Even JCU must realise that a box for "subject" should contain
> /something/, surely?

1) No, not at all. Not in this case, I mean. Rob explained it well at the
beginning of the thread. Open Office support is needed (also) by all the
countless people who can barely turn their computer on.

2) Such people would very often write wrong subject, e.g. "printing
problem" when it is a formatting or style problem instead. So you can't
count on the subject having anything at all to do with the actual issue

> I agree. But I also have to admit I've done it. If you're dashing off a
> quick response to an easy query, it's too easy to forget. (Sorry!)

I wasn't criticizing occasional slips. On ooo-users there were
"volunteers" who NEVER bothered to change the subject when they answered,
and when I explained to them how and why this was a disservice, all I got
was insults.

Marco