Mike Mair wrote:

>Why not just limit the 'standard' to dictionaries of archetypes (informed by
>ontologies), and containers to convey them.

what we're doing is not much more than that. The containers are
transactions or CEN compositions; to move them elswhere, wrap them in an
EHR_EXTRACT.

> We can use the access control
>and document navigaton features of the CDA to convey the clinical objects
>harvested at the health event. The level 2-3 CDA is a hybrid, part document,
>part container.  A Health Event Summary, a Transaction, a EHR Extract,  and
>a CDA document have very similar properties, including 'Persistence,
>Stewardship, Wholeness, and human readiablity' (from the CDA specs).
>Standards work is about achieving a shared way of doing something, so if we
>all just adopt this 'low hanging fruit' the 'standard' will be served.
>
>There's work enough to do to get a shared design for the clinical objects.
>Thomas Beale suggests that the CDA might have a role integrating legacy
>systems into his EHR, which might be fine if the rest of us are 'legacy'. We
>can use the CDA for our baseline interoperability between all systems
>including GEHR systems.

I'll just expand on what I meant - I meant "legacy" systems which
represent their data primarily as narrative - unstructured text, not as
structured data. This is where the CDA comes in because level 1 or level
2 will handle the various levels of structuring.

>I am still not convinced that it is an EHR structure that has to be shared
>for meaningful communication. Both aspects of interoperabiliy, functional
>and semantic, can be served without sharing an EHR structure.

Ah but they cannot - if you can't write software which can assume the
structures of data, you cannot do anything at all.

- thomas beale

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org