Dave

I am not familiar with Schematron. I have had a look on the web, at some
tutorials etc - and it is available in the Oxygen editor that I use.
Generally the openEHR approach has been to apply archetypes to the
reference model in memory. This works well and is proven.

What you are proposing, as far as I can see, might lead to a schema for
a composition - where the schema met both the archetype constraints and
the reference model schema.

It will be relatively easy to test this with something like the blood
pressure archetype.  At the moment I can only give you XML data that fit
the RM schema - the archetype constraints are only expressed in our in
memory objects. I enclose the archetype and data for your information.

If we could spit out a schema based on a template (a composition built
from a set of archetypes) and express the constraints in the archetype,
this would be well received. It would mean that standard compositions,
like a discharge summary or a laboratory report, could be expressed as
XML schema + Schematron.

I believe this is worth investigating.

Cheers, Sam