Jose Alberto Maldonado wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have just read the message bellow and honestly we do not understand
> anything now. We supposed that EN13606-1 reference model could be used as
> reference model for developing archetypes.
> You can read in prEN13606-2 (last version  February 2005), section
> 1.3. Communicating archetypes: "It is
> the intention of both CEN and HL7 that HL7 Templates and EN13606
> archetypes be interoperable".

well, this has been stated for a long time, but there is little evidence
of it happening. A recent post from the HL7 templates list indicates the
current state of play...in short they using something called MIF to do
"templates", which are approximately the same as archetypes. But it is
complicated in HL7 because there are two ways to create any model of a
clinical concept: using a template (presuming they finish defining what
they think a template is) and using an RMIM - a message model.

CEN doesn't need archetypes based on its own model, although not
everyone in the working realises this yet. However, I had a recent
discussion with Dr Gunnar Klein (chair of TC/251) and he now understands
the reason why basing archetypes literally on EN13606 does not make a
lot of sense. The documents you mention are indeed somewhat confusing as
currenly worded and have to be changed; I will be recommending changes
at the next CEN meeting.

> One question arises are these EN13606
> archetypes different from OPENEHR archetypes?.
> Could you show some examples of clinical concepts that can not be
> expressed as archetypes derived from EN13606-1 reference model?.

Sure....practically every archetype we have built. Have a look at the
archetypes either using the adl-workbench or jsut on the web - see
http://www.openehr.org/repositories/archetype-dev/latest/index.html.
Consider the apgar archetype at
http://www.openehr.org/repositories/archetype-dev/latest/adl/archetypes/openehr/ehr/entry/observation/openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.apgar.v1.html

- you will see it references classes OBSERVATION, HISTORY, EVENT, and
LIST, and particular attributes, e.g. OBSERVATION has data, state and
protocol (see e.g. blood pressure for example use of these). You can't
write any of this using the CEN model because it just doesn't have any
of the classes I just mentioned. Instead, you can only write ENTRY,
CLUSTER and ELEMENT, which is too limited.

CEN is designed to carry data that has already been archetyped, not to
be a model on which archetypes are based.

> thanks in advance

------------------------------- HL7 templates list post -----------------

Lloyd McKenzie wrote:

Hi John,

The internal format of all HL7 v3 content is MIF.  It is used for persistence,
exhange, as well as for definition of what's possible.  The MIF also acts as a
UML profile expressing what pieces of UML HL7 permits and what stereotypes we
require.

The MIF requires that all 'custom' constraints be expressed as OCL, though
alternate formal (e.g. Schematron) or free text representations are also
supported.  (Obviously we're coming up short on OCL representations at present.)

Thus, to a certain extent, the statement of UML + OCL is accurate.  We just
need to make clear that the UML being referred to is the MIF LIM stereotype.

Also, the format for registration should be MIF XML to allow for easy
validation and checking against other models (e.g. RIM, datatypesn etc.)