Bert Verhees wrote:
> Ian, just a bit faster then me, asking the same question.
> Thanks, Rong, for the good news
>
> Except from the persistence layer, there are lot more needs. But all
> at its own time.
>
> Rongs message revives for me the hope that implementation is an option
> for the near future.
>
> Ian says a relational DB is not an option, that is bad news,  for me,
> I prefer a relational DB, if possible,
> The advantage of a Relational DB is that they are technical much more
> mature, and there are many good products available, and if you write
> your persistence-layer well, .... Anyway, it is possible to abstract
> the persistence-layer to a vendor and technique independent layer.
> Changing the DB is then, just a question of writing a few classes.
> even is it possible to use an object-database below that layer.
> I hope Rong can tell us something more, because he announces in his
> message, he a persistence-layer-solution for OpenEhr.
I agree that relational DB is probably the most mature and understood
persistence technology. With help of OR mapping tools, it's not that
painful working with RDBMS anymore.

> I do not know if it is useable in OpenEhr context, but I like the
> ideas of Scott W. Ambler, he wrote a paper about
> persistence-layers:http://www.ambysoft.com/downloads/persistenceLayer.pdf
This is about the same architecture as we used in our application.
Hibernate is such a product implemented the persistence layer described
in his document. In fact, the openEHR kernel is not aware of any
persistence layer. The application is interacting with the service layer
which uses the underlying persistence layer to perform CRUD and queries.

> But besides the persistence-layer, the GUI is important, how does it
> connect to the kernel? I wonder.
> Really good news, I hope we will learn more.
We are trying to build generic GUI totally driven by the domain models
(archetypes). Again, as the persistence layer this is an area requires
lots of exploration and experiment. Fortunately, the reference model is
not dependent on either the presentation or persistence layer allowing
EHR systems implemented with different GUI and persistence can interact
with each other.

Cheers,

Rong