From: openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Beale
Sent: 04 November 2010 18:59
To: Openehr-Technical; For openEHR clinical discussions
Subject: Re: Why is OpenEHR adoption so slow?

There are many things that can be improved in openEHR, no doubt about it. Some
comments. First of all, HL7 charges membership fees, meeting attendance fees
and purchase fees for the standards; a small company can easily spend $10,000 -
$20,000 per annum just on the cash outlay. Larger companies routinely spend
$100k per annum when you take into account meeting attendance expenses and
opportunity costs. These fees, plus donations by some large companies, fund HL7
marketing efforts. Such an operation does not come for free.

If we are to have regional communities, an affiliate model of some kind makes
sense. However there is no getting away from some prerequisites:

 *   someone has to pay for the human resource at both local and central
levels; 100% volunteer work is just too unreliable
 *   there has to be a way to get all the affiliates established in the first
place, which really means creating an association in each country that
subscribes to the same common cause - i.e. getting a lot of countries to agree
on a common thing. History tells us this is VERY HARD.
 *   the 'common cause' almost certainly has to have some official standards
status, or regional affiliates might get lots of interested individuals, but
will fail to get MoH/DoH involvement, and hence fail to influence national
programmes, and and probably also vendors

In sum: the organisation needs a distributed organisational governance
structure, and it needs sufficient legitimacy for funding to be provided.

Now, the world currently already includes ISO, CEN, HL7, IHE, IHTSDO, OMG, and
dozens of other standards bodies, which have a) some governance structure and
b) sufficient perceived legitimacy to get some funding. However, there is great
fatigue on the user side: most of these organisations compete, don't cooperate
properly, don't formally or empirically validate their deliverables, and are
not strongly driven by their main stakeholders. For this reason, openEHR has
stayed away from creating yet another organisation, overlaid on this crowded
scene.

In e-health, the exception to the above is IHTSDO, a relative newcomer to the
scene, and while not perfect, it is significantly better in all of these areas.
It has:

 *   a pretty good governance model, including an explicit member country and
affiliate model
 *   direct board membership by key stakeholders of its deliverable, i.e.
national e-health programmes
 *   formally defined and relatively well managed specification, software, and
terminology deliverables (none of which are anything like perfect today, but
the point is that a reasonable process is in place)

For this reason, the openEHR Foundation and IHTSDO have been in talks to
determine what kind of cooperation could occur in the future, which would a)
allow openEHR to work within or alongside the IHTSDO global organisational
structure and b) enable IHTSDO to take better advantage of the openEHR
knowledge engineering technology, in particular terminology integration.

These discussions have not yet completed, but some kind of announcement could
be expected in the near future. If some better organisational and funding
structure can be created, aligned with an accepted standards body, then I think
the whole thing will accelerate very fast.

- thomas beale