Tim,

a few points by way of response:
1. the NCSA web server (which I used to administer in one company) was
built by normal paid engineers in jobs where they were directed to build
that tool - i.e. dedicated paid time.

2. there has been no barrier that I am aware of to people wanting to
come and work on any openEHR project, indeed it is and has always been
highly encouraged. If you think there is some barrier, please let us know.

3. with respect to Sam, you are doing him a disservice. Sam is a medical
doctor, and people technical here sometimes forget that the main game in
the real world for doctors is giving care: seeing patients individually;
improving methods of care; sometimes working at policy level to change
health care systems. From that point of view, the ideology of software
is pretty uninteresting; people in this position are heavily oriented
toward /solving the problem/. As a GP familiar with computers, Sam was
using Windows to built desk-top tools 20 years ago, and even 10 years
ago, it was the only realistic way to built desktop applications. There
was no way for small companies to easily build a desktop app out of C++
or other such engineering languages. So the choice of using (today) .Net
has nothing to do with the ideology of open source or otherwise; it was
just about using tools that were available to solve the problem.

As it happens, Sam is very interested in open source, and the Archetype
Editor was open source since day 1. It turns out that the world at large
is not interested in helping write even this tool. It may be that unless
something is written in Java, Python, PHP etc, it is not seen as open
source. For the other tools built by Ocean, the priority was always to
build something economically that solved the problem most efficiently.

4. There is nothing stopping other companies being particularly open
source oriented. Indeed, Zilics did it some years ago, building on
Rong's original Java openEHR code. This also didn't magically make
hoards of programmers come on board (in fact only the programmers from
their company worked on it). The same thing can be said about the CHIME
Opereffa project. As Seref said, this is largely because any such
project that actually is open sourced, is not perceived to be
sufficiently relevant to other parties in solving their problems that
they should start work on it. So they don't, the write some other
software of their own. This in my view is an indicator not of the
bloody-mindedness of people, but of the massive complexity and diversity
of the field. Its needs just can be solved by building a single tool
like an Apache server.

5. One key difference between the kind of solutions being built in this
domain and Apache is that Apache is ubiquitously useful - to everyone.
It's like running water - everyone wants it. So of course it is easy to
get bazaar-style open source taking off in that situation. Same with
Linux. In the e-health area, it is much much harder, and that's what
history shows. The various attempts to set up and run communities,
cannot be said to have succeeded - even with hundreds of individuals
available and apparently motivated to make something happen. Yet, no
real open source EHR solution has appeared. I suggest that this is because:

    * it is intellectually hard, and is not a problem that can be solved
      by jumping into code before doing some serious design work
    * many people have different, incompatible ideas of what an EHR is,
      and therefore don't agree on what to build anyway
    * it requires interoperability as a key feature, and
      interoperability requires agreement. It is extremely hard to get
      meaningful agreement on technical standards for e-health, and the
      poor results of the official bodies (using completely the wrong
      algorithm and business model) are evidence of this. Open source,
      as a movement, has made practically no useful contribution to
      interoperability, so clearly, it is a problem that has to be
      solved elsewhere - in my view, as you know, by a dedicated
      engineering/development group.

In hindsight, what was probably needed was an IBM to spend $30m
developing an EHR stack and then giving it away through Eclipse or so.
Nevertheless, progress is happening, and it will not be long before more
open source tools are available.

- thomas

*
*