Tim,

this is an interesting looking book, I downloaded it. However, as I and
I imagine others won't get through 220 pages instantly, do you want to
summarise what you see as the lessons from it, while this discussion is
still warm?

- thomas

On 16/11/2010 12:44, Tim Cook wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 16:25 +0000, Thomas Beale wrote:
>> a few points informally (I am not on any boards of any organisations,
>> so these are my own thoughts):
>>        * any organisation like openEHR needs some core paid people to
>>          execute key functions, and to maintain continuity. There is an
>>          'officers' level, which runs any organisations, including
>>          admin and other support staff, and there is an operational
>>          level.
>>        * for the operational level, there are typically posts like CTO,
>>          CMO, infrastructure management, project coordination, and so
>>          on. If the organisation is to do properly what its members
>>          want - typically 2 things: a) manage specifications/standards,
>>          including member involvement in this, and b) manage open
>>          source projects, potentially largely staffed by volunteers -
>>          then it has to have a few dedicated posts. Otherwise it
>>          becomes no-one's responsibility to actually coordinate things,
>>          keep infrastructure running etc.
> If these are the thoughts of, whom I consider to be, the most open
> source/content aware person within the openEHR Foundation.  Then I
> *highly* recommend:
>
> Hippel, Eric von.
> Democratizing innovation / Eric von Hippel.
> ISBN 0-262-00274-4
>
> (available in PDF via a CC license; btw)
>
> Also, you may want to re-visit your comments about Linux.org and
> Apache.org.  The history of how they became organizations is more
> important than the fact that they exist today.
>
> I hope you find this useful.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Ocean Informatics       *Thomas Beale
Chief Technology Officer, Ocean Informatics
<http://www.oceaninformatics.com/>*

Chair Architectural Review Board, /open/EHR Foundation
<http://www.openehr.org/>
Honorary Research Fellow, University College London
<http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
<http://www.bcs.org.uk/>
Health IT blog <http://www.wolandscat.net/>

*
*