I should have added earlier that the openEHR Java project is a pretty
good example of the meritocracy Tim wants to see. It has 16 committers,
and the list remains as active as ever, with a large number of
subscribers.  Although currently under-resourced, it works in exactly
the way it should, not only that, its history is typical. The original
core of code was written by Rong Chen and his small company, as part of
a system to deploy at Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. Like everything
else, the core initial code needed to be built by a very small number of
people, with a very clear and complete idea of openEHR, and what they
wanted to build. Large additions have been done by the people at Zilics,
Seref at UCL, and various others. Many other programmers are using the
code and constantly improving it. None of them do so unless it aids them
in solving a problem they are working on.

There is nothing stopping more people joining either. The limitation
that I would say this project has is not lack of volunteers or
enthusiasm, it is dedicated paid time to:

    * do proper architecting of large changes / enhancements
    * do better project management (admittedly, this could be improved
      today for free by making better use of the openEHR Jira issue
      tracking system)
    * get together physically and meet.

It is hard to achieve some of this stuff with no financial sponsors.